Homemade bread in under an hour
recipe adapted fm USA Weekend Mar 4-6, 2011 issue
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (i use unbleached flour)
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
12 ounces beer
1 egg - beaten
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add beer and stir with a fork until just combined.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead quickly to form a ball. Place bread on a baking pan and make a slit on top with a serrated or very sharp knife. Brush loaf with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown for about 50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 mins.
- Cut into slices and serve with your favourite jam or you can even eat it on its own! Crusty on the outside, soft on the inside, kind of half bread/half muffin style.