1lb pork belly - cut into bite-sized pieces
2 medium-sized sea cucumbers - pre-conditioned and cut into halves
1 small pumpkin - peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
1 dried squid
3 slices of ginger
3 cloves garlic - unpeeled and lightly pounded
2 stalks green onion - cut into 1 inch length
2 tbsp chopped onion
1 tsp white peppercorn - pounded
3 star anise
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 tbsp rock sugar
dash of pepper
dash of sesame oil
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
4 tbsp rice wine
2 cups water
- Blanch the pork belly in boiling water for a few minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat up oil in a wok. Saute the onion, green onion, ginger and garlic until fragrant.
- Add in the pork belly. Add sauce and quickly stir fry for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Add the peppercorn, star anise, cinnamon and dried squid. The water must be enough to cover the pork belly.
- Cover and simmer under medium low heat for 30 to 45 mins or until pork is almost tender. Add sugar, sea cucumbers and pumpkin and continue to simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until all ingredients are cooked to desired tenderness.
- Thicken the sauce with some cornstarch solution and drizzle some sesame oil.
- Ladle into a serving bowl and serve warm with rice.