Monday, April 2, 2012

Begedil (Fried Potato Patties)

I always order begedil when having my nasi lemak meal.  I love these potato patties, and this is my first attempt at making them.  I used yukon potatoes as they hold better when shaping. 
And instead of the usual deep frying, I opted for pan frying.  I think I made the patties a tad too big though, they were tasty but would have tasted better if they were smaller in size.


Ingredients
8 small yukon potatoes
2 stalks green onion (chopped finely)
a few stalks cilantro (chopped finely)
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 tsp turmeric powder (optional, for extra flavour)
6 small shallots (peeled and sliced)
1 large egg (beaten into a bowl)
oil for pan frying
Method
  1. Peel the potatoes.  Cut into halves and boil until cooked.  Drain the potatoes and place them in a large bowl and mash them.
  2. Heat up oil on pan on medium high and fry the shallots till fragrant and crispy.  Reserve the remaining oil for pan frying patties later.  
  3. Add the fried shallots to the mashed potatoes.  
  4. Add green onion, cilantro, turmeric powder, salt and pepper to taste.  Mix well.
  5. Divide them into ten portions and shape them into balls.  Lightly flatten each ball and coat them with the beaten egg before frying. 
  6. Place the coated patties into the pan and fry over medium heat till brown on both sides.  
  7. Drain on paper towels and serve warm with some belachan.

No comments:

Post a Comment