4 chicken leg quarters
freshly squeezed lime juice
2 bay leaves
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
6 tbsp sweet soy sauce
2 tbsp tamarind water
water for cooking
3 tbsp cooking oil
Spices for blending
5 garlic cloves - peeled
6 shallots - peeled
6 red chili
1 tsp coriander powder
3 cm galangal - peeled
3 cm ginger - peeled
3 cm turmeric - peeled
2 roasted candlenuts
- Marinate chicken pieces with lime juice for 15 minutes.
- Heat up 3 tbsp of cooking oil. Add blended ingredients.
- Cook over low heat until aromatic.
- Add bay leaves, salt, tamarind water and sweet soy sauce. Stir to combine well.
- Add chicken to pan and stir for a few minutes.
- Add enough water to cover the chicken pieces.
- Cook on medium heat on each side for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces from pan and place them in a preheated oven of 400 degrees F
- Bake for 20 minutes, basting the chicken occasionally with the remaining marinade.
- Broil chicken for a few minutes until slightly charred.
- Serve grilled chicken with sambal or the remaining marinade sauce.